www.flickr.com

Monday, August 13, 2007

Bank Goes Bust in Second Life


One of the banks in Second Life with a network of virtual ATMs has gone bust after a run on deposits. It is thought that it is related to a change in policy on gambling in Second Life.

Talk about real or virtual money, but these are real dollars that have been lost by depositors, who have been offered relatively worthless bonds as an option for a pay out. I wonder if they will file for virtual bankruptcy. Last Ditch Writer is on holiday, but perhaps there is a virtual job for him when he gets back to Second Life. There is a real blurring of issues between real and virtual worlds here.

4 comments:

James Higham said...

Ho hum. I have nothing in the bank, no accounts, no dollars or euros, only roubles in hand. Still I don't feel safe.

GP said...

So does this mean I'd be better off keeping my Lindens under my virtual mattress?

Anonymous said...

Funny isn't it... a few weeks again there was a long article in a newspaper here - I think the Sunday Times about terrorists using the SL thing for nefarious purposes..I did set up an account at the time of the BP award, but I already waste too much time on-line...

Colin Campbell said...

I wrote earlier that the ABC Island, Cool Aussie Destination in SL was destroyed by virtual terrorists. It is such an odd concept. They just rolled back the tape and pretended it didn't happen. I think that blogging and reading blogs is a more productive time waster than Second Life if that is any help.