www.flickr.com

Friday, July 20, 2007

Besom Abroad does Austin

I am still laughing at this post entitled the Power of Positive Thinking, on cultural differences from Besom Abroad, a Scot studying in Austin, Texas. It takes me back to the mid 1980s when I went to the US to live. I ended up in Aspen and her observations in the early part of the post rang so true for me and brought back many good and bad memories.

Cultural changes can be very challenging, even if all your needs are catered for. It can be alienating to live amongst people who look like you but who are completely different in their values and the way they interact.

The thing I noticed first was the absence of sarcasm in the culture. You can expect most Americans to stare blankly if you go down that path. Personally I used to cringe when referred to as You Guys and often incorrectly wanted to reply to the obligatory Howzitgoan.

We all adjust, but those first few months were challenging, with sun every day and having to smile and say hello to everyone. It was a long time before I could have a good moan when I met a travelling Scot in the bar.

No comments: