www.flickr.com

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Listerine - Drink of Choice in Alice Springs

With the introduction of tough new liquor laws in Alice Springs, in the centre of Australia, serious drinkers are turning to Listerine mouth wash for their highs. Alice Springs has an alcohol consumption rate twice the national average and new laws have made it more difficult to buy alcohol for binge drinking. Chemists and supermarkets have empty shelves. Apparently it is completely unregulated despite having a high ethanol content and eucalyptus, both of which can cause severe systemic problems, even death.

I wonder if you would blow over the limit after a Listerine night on the town. Added benefits include having a fresh breath odour to share with your significant other, and sparkly teeth. Probably better than petrol sniffing however.

6 comments:

GP said...

What a minty fresh way to go. Apparently it's quite common at Alcoholics Anonymous to find people who've sworn off the booze but keep "accidentally" swallowing their Listerine. As you say, at least they get a beautiful set of gnashers for their pains.

Megan Bayliss said...

Wonder if I mix Listerine with my champagne will I be sparkling and bubbly when I awake in the morning??

It's a sad reflection on the social problems existing in our Indigenous populations. I agree that it's better than petrol and chroming though.

Shades said...

I imagine it is methanol content that is toxic.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, dear! It tastes horrible! any idea why Alice has this alcohol problem?
Btw, Colin, I must be very daft but I tried and tried to get the "Carnival" widget onto my blog but just couldn't do it!

Colin Campbell said...

Hello Welshcakes

The major issue is the large disenfranchised, alienated native Australian community in Alice Springs. I am not an expert in this area, but there is a big problem with chemical abuse. A lot of work has been done to address petrol sniffing with the introduction of non sniffable petrol.

I tried to include the widget into a post without luck. I was able to put the widget on my side bar. Perhaps you could email the Carnival Owner and ask?

Ruthie said...

EW.

How unfortunate. And disgusting.